Bridgie's Babble - June 11, 2007
June 11, 2007

Time just flies by! Most of our trip is covered pretty well in other parts of the site so I'm going to move on to

Ray's Visit!

Ray (our favorite son from Ma.) flew in from Boston to Cabo San Lucas for a week at the end of May We rented a car, drove the 3 hours to the airport and
picked him up. The event wasn't without a small location problem but not worth mentioning. We finally made contact at Terminal 3 and drove to Cabo San
Lucas, about 20 miles from the airport. We had lunch at a palapa on the beach so Ray could see where we had been anchored a few months before and get an
appreciation for the "traffic" in the bay. He could also go home and tell the  friends that, yes, he had gone to Cabo, be it brief.

After lunch we proceeded by heading north using Route 1 along the outside of the Baja Peninsula and made our way back to La Paz. We made a quick stop at
Santo Tomas but not long enough to get a real feel for the town, which we understand is an "artsy" colony made up mostly of U. S. Ex pats. We were all tired
and decided to move on without shopping.

Sunday we returned the rental car and took Ray on a walking tour of La Paz. Later, we spent the rest of the day relaxing at the pool at Fiesta Inn, near the

Monday we departed for Isla Partida. It was the first time Ray had been out sailing with us in several years...not since we had been in Ventura. We had planned
on setting the anchor in Partida Cove but there was a fierce S. wind blowing so we moved on to Cardonel. There was a bit more protection there from the swells
BUT there was a huge bee population. They knew we had fresh water on board and they wanted some. All of their friends came.  We took the dinghy to shore,
hoping the bees would disappear while we hiked to the other side of the island.  No such luck. Although it was hot, we spend the rest of the afternoon down
below, allowing the bees free reign of the cockpit. Once the sun started to set, the bees flew back to the hives and we were no longer held captive.We enjoyed
dinner and some star gazing while sipping a couple of cocktails. Very fine!

At daybreak on Tuesday we were greeted to the hum of bees, hoping for the drink they missed the day before. We decided to pull up the anchor and head for
Isla San Francisco. The seas were flat and there wasn't much wind, which meant we had to motor. This was a good thing, though! In the distance Ray spotted a
whale expelling water from its blowhole..and then another and another...."Full steam ahead to the whales" says captain John. Fortunately, it was also in the
direction we wanted to be going, as well.The experience was delightful. In addition to the whales, there were also playful dolphins. Ray had his eyes on one
whale in particular. It went under for some length of time and we thought it had disappeared when, all of a sudden, it surfaced and blew it's water just feet from
the boat. Ray and mom were quite startled. We hadn't expected it to be so close, so BIG (35 feet?) and so LOUD! It then continued on it's way. Meanwhile, an
orca was swimming by, passed the boat and then made a U  turn. He came up to the transom of Sailsoon and swam directly along side for a few seconds before
resuming his regular route. We had never thought we'd see an Orca in Baja. They are very rare. After about an hour of whale watching we resumed our trip,
arriving in Isla San Francisco about mid afternoon.  Ray and John inflated the kayak so Mom and Ray could do some paddling. We took turns heading against
the wind towards shore and then let the kayak drift us back to the boat. We did this several times.

We remained at this island until Thursday morning. We had been able to pick up extra snorkeling gear before Ray's trip out so we spent some time enjoying the
marine life. We also hiked along the ridge, taking photos and exploring the opposite side of the island. One of the  other cruising boats in the cover was
organizing an evening on the beach, complete with bonfire, snacks and popcorn. We joined the festivities for about an hour and watched the sun set into
darkness. We're pretty sure Ray enjoyed his stay and the new activities, as he mentioned he could "get used to " the life.

On Thursday morning we headed back to Isla Partida. We had a repeat performance by whales in the same area. Again the ocean was kind, allowing for full
viewing of their movements. We still are trying to identify the species. It is very difficult to snap photos when you don't know how long they will be submerged or
where they will surface.  We anchored in Partida Cove, took the dinghy to shore and walked across the island. Upon return, Ray decided to do some fishing
from the boat but met with no success. The fishing gear we have lends itself better to trolling rather than rod fishing. We didn't have fish for dinner. (I wonder if
Ray planned for that to happen?)  The wind picked up in the early evening to about 20 knots and continued to climb all night.

It was still very windy, with lots of swell on Friday morning. We waited until 1 PM, hoping they would both subside, but that wasn't our fortune. In any case, we
had to leave and get back to the Marina, 20 miles away, as Ray had a plane to catch the next day. The seas were ugly and right on the nose. We had to "bash"
into them, which cut our speed constantly. We averaged 3.7 knots for the entire trip, taking almost 6 hours for the passage back. We did arrive in time to take
the shuttle to town, pick up a rental car, have dinner at the very nice La Boheme and give Ray a quick "ride tour" of La Paz.

We departed the marina for Cabo San Lucas before 7 AM on Saturday morning. This time we took the "other" Route 1 which follows the Baja Coast. It is much
more  picturesque, and offers curvy, windy roads.  We made a quick stop along the route at Los Barriles, a fishing "village" on the upscale side. A very beautiful
place, indeed! Arrival at the airport came a bit too quickly, or so it seemed. We had a great visit with Ray. He was laid back and took everything in stride,
including a "hard, small" mattress and living in a boat with limited headroom. He even kept mom happy by applying sun screen and wearing a hat! We will miss
him and look forward to his next visit...
It's a long walk, Ray, but it's worth it!
Trust me..I know the way...................
I know you were expecting a sandy beach ..and it will just a few more years!
More photos of Ray's trip can be viewed on the Ray's Vacation in
Baja California -
June 2007 page
Next Bridgie's Babble Aug. 17, 2007